Monday, July 30, 2012

Dermagraphic Uticari

I officially have another diagnosis to add to my medical history book. Dermagraphic Uticaria otherwise known as skin writing. I went to an allergist on friday of last week because my hives were still running rampant and this is what he told me I had. He ordered a bunch of lab tests and told me to take Zyrtec once a day before bed. The Zyrtec has definitely helped with the itching but the hives are still coming up. I essentially get hives whereever there is pressure on my skin so if I scratch anywhere lines form where I scrathed. Hives form on my arms if they rub against anything, on my waistline if I am wearing elastic yoga pants. The day before I went to the allergist I came across some things about a progesrone allergy. Apparently some people can become allergic to progesterone and some people who had been through multiple rounds of IVF reported they had hives develop too so this was pretty concerning to me because essentially it would mean that I wouldn't be able to go through another transfer. After meeting with my allergist he said he didn't think it was from anything environmental like food, detergent,etc. And when I asked him he said he really didn't think it was from progesterone either. I came home and did some more research this time using the specfic medical term for my hives and came up with some different things than I had before. Apparently people my age can just develop this condition which a lot of times becomes chronic ( great). Sometimes it is triggered by something but it is more of an autoimmune disorder. Many people reported the only thing that helped it go away was going on a gluten free diet. This was interesting because I was already considering going gluten free. I have read a lot about infertility/misscariage that occurs when someone has a gluten intolrance and doesn't know it. Gluten intolerance also causes other symptoms including fatique which is something I have struggled with for a long time. So I pretty much decided right away to try a gluten free diet for a while and see how I feel. I started this on sunday. I also read excerpts from a few artciles that specifically linked this type of hives to progesertone in cottonseed oil which is what I have been on for all 4 of our transfers. I can't help but wonder if this reaction is part or all of the reason for the implanation failure that occured this time and possibly the other 2 times our transfers failed to implant.  I know I didn't break out in hives but my body could still have been reacting. Or after being pregnant with Karis maybe my body is now reacting differently. But regardless I think if my body was trying to fight off something (which is what is occuring during an allergic reaction) I would think it would also try to fight off the embies which were trying to implant. But anyway. I have a phone appointment with Dr Keenan on monday and will hopefully have some answers. I am praying that he will let me go through another transfer with a different protocol but we'll see what he has to say. It's been a tough week but I am confident there are brighter days ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment